Wonders beneath the glacier
Wonders beneath the glacier
1 up to 3 day-trips combined if you like
Gorgeous scenery and remarkable interaction between the land and people throughout history is the essence of the national park.
Astonishing formations sculptured by big forces; the Atlantic Ocean's waves, the volcanic activity and the glacial crown.
You see and feel how people have coped with these forces and the magic, sometimes portrayed by renowned writers and artists including; Jules Verne, Halldor Laxnes, Diter Roth and Jóhannes Kjarval.
Physical difficulty level: 3 (Scale 1-5)
Combining hiking and biking all around the glacier give us a wealth of varied daytrips. We either start or end the day by cycling. Shuttle service will be on offer once in a while during the day (included). You can choose one trip or take them all in a row over 2/3 days. Each tour takes about 8-10 hours in total.
1. Búðir - Arnarstapi. We start the tour from Búðir or Arnarstapi depending on weather, individual needs and the constellation of the group. Along the coast we concentrate mostly on the lava, caves, vegetation, literature and history. Along the road and mountain side we look for the canyons, the farming and history.
2. Arnarstapi - Djúpalón. Here we have to start from Arnarstapi on bikes. In this tour you might be lucky to get under the surface like the writer; Jules Verne. You may not take the whole "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", but if we are lucky enough we guarantee you will at least get a glimpse of the journey. The main attractions here is the coast, landscape, history and hardship of the fishermen.
3. Arnarstapi - Eysteinsdalur. We start from Arnarstapi again on bikes. The start can be a bit challenging because we go upwards to Jökulháls. But no worries. We make many stops on the way because of all the must-sees along the road and we will be amply rewarded on the way down the Eysteinsdalur valley. If weather and snow conditions permits we will test out how the glacier is doing. When we have got to the main road we will get shuttle back to Arnarstapi.
- English and Scandinavian speaking Icelandic guide.
- Bicycle, helmet and other safety gear.
- Entrance and gear for cave watching in Vatnshellir
- Contribution to Icelandic forestry and landcare trough The Kolviður Fund / Forests
- Provisions for the day.
4. Glacier Hike to Snæfellsjökull - You can perhaps top your stay with Snæfellsjökull Glacier
After a day trip in a wonderland, the homeland of Bárður Snæfellsás, it is almost heavenly to have a dinner in a local cultural settings at the community centre, all made up by the artist Ólína Gunnlaugsdóttir, a true "Jöklari" (glacierist) what means a person with deep roots in the glacial area.