Summit Solstice Glacier Celebration
Snæfellsjökull Glacier summit 2018
"The most MAGICAL HIKE of my life...." - Eduardo C, Spain
GoWest´s 6th annual Summer Solstice Snæfellsjökull glacier summit hike. Join us hiking, on the most magical night of the year, to the summit of this legendary glacier/volcano duo. This is truly a unique experience that should not be missed.
It´s time for Go West´s Annual Summer Solstice Midnight Snæfellsjökull Summit Hike. This is our sixth year organizing this Incredible Solstice Celebration. We meet at 6pm in beautiful Arnarstapi, where we get to know each other and have a short safety introduction. At 8pm we drive up to Jökulháls (500m) to begin our hike. The upwards hike will take an estimated 4-5 hours to the summit and then 2-3 hours hiking back down. Be prepared for Incredible sunset views and an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. We Organize this Solstice hike because we literally cannot think of anywhere more spectacular to be on this night.
Meeting place (GoWest hut, Arnarstapi):
- Departure time: 8pm
- Return time: 2-3am
- Duration: 6/8hours
- Difficulty (scale 1-10): 6/7
- All required glacier gear which includes Climbing harness, Crampons, Ice axe, Hiking poles, Safety line.
- Guiding in English or Scandinavian.
- Short drive to Snæfellsjökull trail start
- 5% Contribution to Local Rescue Team
- Please read this list of suggested Personal Equipment you should bring with you on a glacier hike - Personal Equipment List
- Transport to and from Arnarstapi
- Food and water
Terms and conditions:
- Tour date may be changed to Friday 22/06/18 according to weather. It can though be difficult because the Icelandic football team is playing an important match in Russia that evening.
- The price stated is per person for a minimum of 3 people joining the tour. If less than the minimum 3 bookings are received, it will be priced as a private guided tour (equal to 3 paying guests). - You can book and we will pay you back if we do not get the minimum paying persons.
- Icelandic weather constantly changes and therefore we reserve the right to postpone/cancel trips due to weather or other factors outside of our control. If we cancel tours, full refunds will be issued.
Past Solstice hikes
All Tours Prices include 11% VAT and Contribution to Icelandic forestry and landcare through The Kolviður Fund / Forest